MEDIA ADVISORY FOR:
August 9, 2017
WED at 1PM: Latino Directors, Actors and Writers Perform for 200+ Entertainment Industry Executives and Casting Directors
The National Hispanic Media Coalition and the Los Angeles Theatre Center are pleased to invite you to the fifth annual Latino Scene Showcase on Wednesday, August 9 at 1pm at the El Portal Theatre. The Latino Scene Showcase is a private event for entertainment industry executives, talent representatives, and casting directors to watch the performance of original scripts written, directed and performed by graduates of NHMC’s Latino TV Writers Program and Latino talent recruited by the LATC and NHMC. This event will present an inside look at diversity programs aimed at providing more opportunities for Latino writers, directors and actors in the entertainment industry.
Among the group of talented writers is Janine Salinas Schoenberg, current writer for prime time Emmy-nominated series American Crime. Actress Nisalda Gonzalez, star of the new incubator series Campus Catwalk, will be performing.
NHMC’s focus on aspiring Latino TV writers with the TV Writers Program, Latino Scriptwriters Intensive, Latino Scene Showcase and their extensive database of projects developed by Latino writers, connect creatives to a network of Hollywood insiders for employment and mentorship. The organization’s programs have led to the staffing of more than 100 Latinos on top-rated TV shows.
WHO: 21 Latino actors will be performing original scripts, written and directed by Latinos, for more than 200 entertainment industry insiders.
Alex Nogales, president and CEO of the National Hispanic Media Coalition will co-host the event with José Luis Valenzuela, artistic director of the Los Angeles Theatre Center. Jose Luis is also the artistic director of the Latino Scene Showcase, award-winning theater and film director, and a tenured professor at the UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television.
WHAT: The Latino Scene Showcase will present seven short scenes, directed, written and performed by Latinos, to introduce their talent to Hollywood directors, writers, talent representatives and casting directors.
WHEN: Wednesday, August 9
1PM – 2PM: Latino Scene Showcase performances
2PM – 3PM: Networking with entertainment industry representatives
WHERE: El Portal Theatre, 5269 Lankershim Blvd. North Hollywood, CA 91601
RSVP: Credentialed media can RSVP with Jareyah Bradley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 908.242.4822
The 7 scenes include:
- “Evolution Fitness,” written by Rafael Garcia, directed by Fidel Gomez and performed by: Matthew Jordan, Marissa Ringer and Jay Phoenix.
- “Pearly Gates,” written by Jesenia Ruiz, directed by Fidel Gomez and performed by: Alfredo Trueba, Melissa Rivera and Bob Rodriguez.
- “The Mailroom,” written by Joseph Ferrante, directed by Sal Lopez and performed by: Peter Pasco, Brian Molina and Eddie Ruiz.
- “M.I.A.,” written by Renier Murillo, directed by Sylvia Blush and performed by: Julian Ortega, Abigail Arnold-Ochs, Carla Olivar and Nisalda Gonzalez.
- “Mari and Damian,” written by Janine Salinas Schoenberg, directed by Sal Lopez and performed by: Yvonne Angulo and James Cavlo.
- “Call Me Daddy,” written by Brian Otaño, directed by Sylvia Blush and performed by: Myrna Velasco, Frankie Rodriguez, Rey Lopez and Michelle Castillo.
- “Bits and Pieces,” written by Carlos Cisco, directed by Fidel Gomez and performed by: Roland Ruiz and Hugo Carbajal.
Learn more about the National Hispanic Media Coalition’s programs for Latino TV writers here: http://www.nhmc.org/writersprogram and the Latino Scene Showcase here: http://www.nhmc.org/latinosceneshowcase.
The Latino Scene Showcase is sponsored and supported by Univision/Fusion, The Walt Disney Company and Disney ABC Television Group, CBS Corporation, and the Writers Guild of America, West.
The National Hispanic Media Coalition (NHMC) is a media advocacy and civil rights organization for the advancement of Latinos, working towards a media that is fair and inclusive of Latinos, and towards universal, affordable, and open access to communications. Receive real-time updates on Facebook, Twitter @NHMC and Instagram @NHMC_org.