**Deadline to apply is July 31, 2014. For more information on how to apply,click here**
The NHMC Television Writers Program was created in 2003 and is an intensive scriptwriters workshop that prepares Latinos for writing jobs at major television networks. Modeled after the previously successful Hispanic Film Project, the program is a direct response to the lack of diverse writers in primetime network TV. To take NHMC TV Writers Program graduates to the next level, NHMC has also created the NHMC Pitching Lab and the Latino Scene Showcase.
Why the NHMC TV Writers Program: An NHMC-commissioned national poll showed that non-Latinos primarily learn about our community from what they see on television. For this reason, NHMC works to get more Latinos in back of camera to achieve balanced and accurate portrayals of diversity in the U.S. According to the “2013 WGAW TV Staffing Brief”:
- Latino TV writers remain underrepresented by a factor of 4 to 1
- Although minorities make up 36.3% of the U.S. population, they remain underrepresented by a factor of nearly 5 to 1 among executive producers
- Nearly ⅓ of TV shows have no writers of color on staff
Since its inception eleven years ago:
- 110 writers have completed the NHMC TV Writers Program
- 28 writing careers have been launched
- 25% of NHMC Writers have been staffed on shows at the following networks: ABC/Disney, NBC, CBS, FOX, Nickelodeon, CW, BET, LATV, VH1 and NUVOtv.
For the 2013-2014 TV season you can find our writers writing on the following shows:NHMC Writers are also participating in the following writers programs that serve as direct pipelines to jobs in the business:
- NBC Writers on the Verge
- Warner Bros. Writer’s Workshop
- Disney/ABC Writing Program
- CBS Writers Mentoring Program
For more information about the program and application process, click here.
Brought to you by: